Geographically India is extremely diverse, the landscape, mountain ranges, hills, plains, deserts and a coastline of over 7500 km gives distinct yet a unique identity to India. The fertile Indo-Gangetic plains occupy most of northern India while the Deccan Plateau occupies most of southern India. Similarly, the climatic conditions are contrasting the varied topographical conditions; various seasons give rise to divergent lifestyles, food habits and practises.
We can have glimpse of cultural unity across the country when we look towards the family system, the food habits, the religious practises, the social bonding, the festivals, the folk dances and songs, traditions customs such as Indian marriages, cultural symbols such as the cuisines, traditional clothing, different dance forms , epics and mythology, martial arts, languages, glorious past, unique art and architecture.
This endless diversity in India from being one of the world’s oldest civilisations and most diverse cultures having 28 states and 8 union territories with every state having a different charm, a unique history and a distinctive culture, gives India a different identity from the rest of the world. India is a hub where one can meet multilingual people, understand Indian cultures, religion, savour Indian cuisines all presenting India as an epitome of unity in cultural diversity. We all refer to India and its culture as something very diverse and unique where every religion, culture, savour, language is equally respected which makes India all together. Thus, making India full of opportunities to explore new and varied avenues for tourism.
Indiatourism Mumbai celebrates the EBSB (Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat) a major flagship programme of Government of India by showcasing the different cuisines, dance forms, festivals, handicrafts of the States & Union Territories in Western & Central Region that are paired with other States and Union Territories under the EBSB initiative namely Maharashtra-Odisha, Gujarat-Chhattisgarh, Goa-Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh-Manipur-Nagaland , Dadra & Nagar Haveli-Chandigarh and Daman & Diu – Puducherry.
“Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat” initiative was announced by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India on 31st October, 2015 on the occasion of the 140th Birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. Through these innovative measures, the knowledge of the culture, traditions and practices of different States & UTs will lead to an enhanced understanding and bonding between the States, thereby strengthening the unity and integrity of India.
The broad objectives of the initiative are as follows:
1.To CELEBRATE the Unity in Diversity of our Nation and to maintain and strengthen the fabric of traditionally existing emotional bonds between the people of our Country.
2.To PROMOTE the spirit of national integration through a deep and structured engagement between all Indian States and Union Territories through a year-long planned engagement between States.
3.To SHOWCASE the rich heritage and culture, customs and traditions of either State for enabling people to understand and appreciate the diversity that is India, thus fostering a sense of common identity.
4.To ESTABLISH long-term engagements.
5.To CREATE an environment which promotes learning between States by sharing best practices and experiences.
Indiatourism Mumbai has showcased various Indian states through the medium of posters depicting a comparison of the paired states like ‘Explore India and carry a craft back’ which showcased Handicrafts of Gujarat (Embroidery of Kutch) and Chhattisgarh (Bell Metal Craft), ‘street culinary experience’ which showcased street foods of Odisha (Bara and Ghuguni) and Maharashtra (Vada Pav), ‘Art as a way of communication’ which showcased paintings of Odisha (Pattachitra) and Maharashtra (Warli Painting), ‘Festivals and Rituals as an integral part of any culture’ which showcased the festivals of Odisha (Rath Yatra) and Maharashtra (Ganesh Chaturthi).
Initiatives of Indiatourism Mumbai under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat (EBSB) from November 2019- June 2020:
1. The Tribal Tourism workshop including a B2B meeting was organized in Raipur, Chhattisgarh from 22-25 Nov. 2019, tour operators from other states of Western region participated. The participants were also taken to Chitrakote, Kutumsar Caves, Tirthgarh Waterfalls and Gangrel Dam site. The participants had firsthand experience of the tourism potential of Bastar Region of Chhattisgarh.
2. The Cuisine cum Cultural festival celebrated at IHM-Gwalior campus. Famous food items of three states of Madhya Pradesh, Manipur and Nagaland were showcased along with performance of cultural troupes from Madhya Pradesh and Nagaland.
3. A special Odisha section was created in the Incredible India booth at the travel exhibition IITTM held in Pune highlighting Tourism potential of Odisha manned by an official from Odisha Tourism.
4. Indiatourism Mumbai participated in the Destination Gujarat Exhibition held from 18.12.2019 to 20.12.2019 Surendranagar, Gujarat. Under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative a special Chhattisgarh section was created to showcase Tourism potential of Chhattisgarh. Gujarat and Chhattisgarh are paired states. India Tourism Mumbai launched the “Know Odisha” presentation for students of Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs) in Maharashtra on 19th December 2019. The programme introduces class 6 to 9 students in Maharashtra to the Culture, History, Geography, Monuments, Temples, dance forms, tourist attractions, Handicraft and cuisine of Odisha which is the ‘paired state’ with Maharashtra.
5. “Know Chhattisgarh” seminar organised for the Travel Trade of Gujarat in Ahmedabad on 30.12.2019 under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative with the objective to promote tourism products of Chhattisgarh which is the paired state with Gujarat. This event was attended by 48 tour operators from Ahmedabad.
6. “Know Odisha” seminar was organized for the Travel Trade of Maharashtra in Mumbai on 30.12.2019 under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative with the objective to introduce the tourism products of Odisha which is the paired state with Maharashtra. This event was attended by 20 tour operators from Mumbai
7. Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat (EBSB) outreach to school children, the Indiatourism Office, Aurangabad organised a “Know Odisha” audio visual presentation to the school students about Odisha which is the ‘Paired State’ with Maharashtra under EBSB.
8. The Regional Director, Indiatourism Mumbai met the members of Travel & Tourism Association of Goa (TTAG) on 23.12.2019 at Patto, Panaji and sensitized the tour operators of Goa on EK Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative and highlighted Jharkhand Tourism potential and urged TTAG members to actively promote Jharkhand Tourism.
9. Taj Mumbai Magazine is an upscale publication of the Taj hotels in Mumbai. The advertisement creative of Konark Temple of Ministry of Tourism for domestic tourism campaign was adopted with EBSB logo and the concept of paired state of Maharashtra and Odisha has been highlighted in the creative. 10. India Tourism Mumbai participated in the 4th Global Film Tourism Conclave organized by PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry with the theme of ‘Experience the potential of Cinematic Tourism’ held on 21.01.2020 at Novotel, Juhu, Mumbai to promote the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative by showcasing the Filming locations in Odisha through Audio-visual Presentation.
11. Indiatourism Mumbai supported an inter collegiate Technical Fest namely “Yatra La Vista” on 9th January, 2020 and promoted Odisha’s various facets ranging from rich cultural and historical Heritage to Adventure Tourism to the various Travel & Tourism college students. 300 students from various Travel & Tourism colleges attended the event.
12. Indiatourism, Mumbai participated in Powaifest 2020 held on January 11-12, 2020. The Incredible India stall showcased the Tourism potential of Odisha under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative.
13. With an objective to realize the Mission of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat, Indiatourism Mumbai organised an audio-visual presentation of Odisha and based on the presentation a Quiz Competition was also organised on the subject and prizes distributed. Through this activity, the students gained knowledge about the Culture, History, Geography, Historical Monuments, Famous Temples, Handicraft and Cuisine of Odisha State.
14. Indiatourism Mumbai participated in the India International Travel Exhibition (IITE), Nagpur Travel show from 24.01.2020 to 26.01.2020 at South Central Zone Cultural centre, Nagpur.
15. Indiatourism Mumbai organised the “Know Odisha” presentation for the Travel & Tourism students of Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College on 22.01.2020. The presentation centred around introducing the rich tangible and intangible cultural heritage of Odisha to around 150 students besides highlighting the objectives of EBSB to the students and teachers.
16. A group of 12 students of Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Bhubaneswar, visited Mumbai for student cultural exchange programme under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative.The objective of this visit was to create an awareness among the students of Odisha about the rich heritage and culture of Maharashtra as Maharashtra & Odisha are paired state under EBSB initiative.
17. Indiatourism Mumbai organised cultural performances at 16th Mumbai International Film festival held on 28.01.2020 at Nehru centre, Mumbai, showcased the spirit and essence of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat through a confluence of different Indian classical dance styles.
18. The India Tourism Office, Aurangabad organised a “Know Odisha” audio visual presentation in Kendriya Vidyalaya School, Aurangabad on 04.01.2020. The presentation centred around introducing the rich tangible and intangible cultural heritage of Odisha to around 80 students besides highlighting the objectives of EBSB to the students and teachers.
19. As a part of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat activities, the Institute of Hotel Management Goa organised a Jharkhand theme lunch in association with India Tourism Goa on 29.01.2020. Famous food items of Jharkhand were prepared by the students and displayed.
20. Ahar Hospitality Magazine published a creative picture of Konark Temple for promoting domestic tourism campaign which was adopted with EBSB logo and the concept of paired state of Maharashtra and Odisha has been highlighted in the creative.
21. Safari Plus is a bi-monthly travel magazine that covers exclusive travel updates, travel news and trade events, in and out for B2B and B2C. The advertisement creative of Konark Temple of Ministry of Tourism for domestic tourism campaign was adopted with EBSB logo and the concept of paired state of Maharashtra and Odisha has been highlighted in the creative.
22. Indiatourism Mumbai participated in Chikoo Festival organized by Rural Entrepreneur Welfare Foundation held on February 1-2, 2020 at Bordi, Palghar, Maharashtra.In the two days of festival more than 1,00,000 visitors visited Incredible India stall, showcased the Tourism potential of Odisha under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat (EBSB) initiative.
23. Indiatourism Mumbai participated in the OTM, 2020 at Bombay Exhibition center, Goregaon, Mumbai 3-5 February,2020. The Ministry of Tourism’s Incredible India stand at OTM showcased the varied tourism products of the country including the Government of India’s Initiative”Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat”.
24. Indiatourism Mumbai organised the “Know Odisha” presentation for Maharashtra State institute of Hotel Management and Catering technology, Pune on 26.02.2020. The presentation centred around introducing the rich tangible and intangible cultural heritage of Odisha to around 180 students besides highlighting the objectives of EBSB to the students and teachers.
25. The team of 10 students and 2 faculty members from IHM Mumbai went for a student cultural exchange programme to Odisha under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative from 09-14 February, 2020. Indiatourism Mumbai is meeting the expenditure towards the rail travel of students from Mumbai to Bhubaneswar and back.
26. Indiatourism Mumbai conducted Innovative Itinerary Development competition for Travel and Tourism students on 26.02.2020 as part of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat activities.
27. As part of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat activities Indiatourism Mumbai in association with Le mark school of Arts and Designs,Mumbai organised “Photo Trek ” group comprising 15 Photography students and 2 faculty members from 12-20 February, 2020.
28. Continuing with Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat (EBSB) outreach to school children, the India Tourism Office, Aurangabad organised a “Know Odisha” audio visual presentation at Lalji Narayanji Public School, Jalgaon on 06.02.2020.
29. Continuing with Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat (EBSB) outreach to school children, the India Tourism Office, Aurangabad organised a “Know Odisha” audio visual presentation in Mahatma Phule Junior High School, Aurangabad on 01.02.2020.
30. Indiatourism Goa organised a “Know Jharkhand” Audio Visual presentation under “Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat” Initiative of Govt. of India at Kendriya Vidyalaya Bambolim & Vasco-Da-Gama and Institute of Hotel Management,Goa on 15 and 17th February, 2020 respectively.
31. Indiatourism Goa participated in the India Travel Mart (ITM), Goa Travel show from 14-16 February,2020 at Panaji convention Centre, Goa. The Incredible India stall showcased the Tourism potential of Jharkhand under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative.
32. Indiatourism Indore and Madhya Pradesh state Food Craft Institute, Rewa organised following Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat activities in Food Craft Institute, Rewa.
Ms. Bhavan Shinde, Assistant Director, India Tourism Mumbai participated in Doordarshan Prime time show Batmya Telecasted on 29.02.2020 from 21.45 to 22.00 hrs shared the initiatives taken by Indiatourism Mumbai in promoting the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat between the paired states including the other states in western and central region.
33. Indiatourism Mumbai organized a Fam Trip of 5 nights 6 days from 12-17 March 2020 for Marathi Print Media Journalists India Tourism Mumbai made all arrangements for their Stay, Tours, Transport and Meals.
34. Indiatourism Mumbai participated in the 9th International Heritage Tourism Conclave organised by PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry with the theme of “Strengthen efforts to protect and safeguard the world’s cultural and natural heritage” held on 13 March 2020.The platform was used to showcasing the heritage and culture of Manipur and Nagaland.
35. Indiatourism Mumbai participated in Cornucopia 2020 organized by IHM Mumbai held on March 6-7, 2020 at Dadar, Mumbai, Maharashtra. The Incredible India stall showcased the Tourism potential of Odisha under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative.
36. Safari Plus is a bi-monthly travel magazine that covers exclusive travel updates, travel news and trade events,in and out for B2B and B2C. The creative of “Pung Cholam Dance, Manipur ” was highlighted in the advertisement. The paired states under EBSB of Madhya Pradesh are Manipur & Nagaland.
37. Social Media Promotion: Indiatourism Mumbai has been highlighting the concept of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative through its social media handles (Facebook, Instagram & Twitter) with #ekbharatshreshthabharat hashtag. Following paired states promoted during the month of June, 2020 through social media handles-
38. Indiatourism Mumbai and IHM-Goa jointly organised a webinar on “Cuisines of Goa” under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat Initiative”
39. Safari Plus is a bi-monthly travel magazine that covers exclusive travel updates, travel news, trade events,in and out for B2B and B2C.The creative of “Pung Cholam Dance, Manipur ” was highlighted in the advertisement. The paired states under EBSB of Madhya Pradesh are Manipur & Nagaland. The Theme was “United by Culture ”.